2017 Louisiana Principal of the Year
- Mia Edwards, Ascension Parish
- Angela Gregoire, Assumption Parish
- Shannon Foolkes, Calcasieu Parish
- Bobbye Delaney, Cameron Parish
- Lakesha Reese-Penn, City of Baker School District
- Cleo Perry, Jr, EBR Parish
- Elizabeth Chatelain, Evangeline Parish
- Michael Beck, Jackson Parish
- Tamara Warner, Jefferson Parish
- John Mouton, Lafayette Parish
- Shanna Steed, Livingston Parish
- Mark Perry, Jefferson Parish
- Twainna Calhoun, Ouachita Parish
- Dewayne Vines, Rapides Parish
- Sandra Jones, Richland Parish
- Julie Waguespack, St. James Parish
- Sarah Allen, St. Martin Parish
- Dawn Chaisson, St. Mary Parish
- Mark Torbert, Terrebonne Parish
- David Gray, Union Parish
- Thomas Byler, Vermilion Parish
- Rhonda Roberts, Vernon Parish
- Laree Taylor, WBR Parish
- Deborah Brian, Zachary Community School District
The Principal of the Year Process
The process for selecting a Louisiana Principal of the Year begins at the local level. Each school within every public or public charter school district is eligible to select a Principal of the Year subject to their own selection criteria. Those individual local school nominations are sent to the District level for further review and consideration.
Each District Superintendent or public charter school District may select three outstanding teachers to forward to the State Department of Education for competition at the state level. Of the three District nominations, there will be one elementary, one middle school, and one high school principal selected.
The Louisiana Department of Education continues a review and evaluation of all District candidates submitted. To learn more about the Principal of the Year selection process, contact LDOE at louisianabelieves.com/teaching/award-programs. Questions regarding the selection process or on-line applications should be directed to the department.
The 2017 Louisiana Principal of the Year will be announced at the 2017 Cecil J. Picard Educator Excellence Awards Gala to be held on July 28, 2017 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Baton Rouge. This event is dedicated to recognizing and honoring Louisiana’s outstanding principals, and is jointly sponsored by Dream Teachers, the Louisiana Department of Education, and the Louisiana Association of Principals.
Sedric Clark, Mansfield High School
Everyone asks me, "What football position did you play?" They are usually shocked when I tell them that I didn't play sports at all while in school. My school was too small to support an athletic program!
But, I do know how lead a team! Every teacher and every student in my school is special. I want them to know that and to believe it. BELIEVE in yourself and take every opportunity to reach for higher and higher goals.